I teach math to middle and high school students, art to students at the college level, and this year, I am teaching Theory of Knowledge in Grades 11 and 12. I am currently teaching at an International School in Nicosia, Cyprus. I am interested in collaboration, which helps and pushes student thinking, which improves kids relationships with math, and which helps to make connections between math and other content areas like art. I love algebra especially. This blog is, in part intended to nurture this collaboration, and help me to connect with other caring educators.
Schools at which I’ve taught:
American International School in Cyprus; Nicosia, Cyprus
- K-12 Independent International School. I am the head of the math department, which includes the I.B. Math diploma program. I currently teach Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 to Grade 8 and 10 students, and Theory of Knowledge to Grades 11 and 12. I have also led a Grade 7-8 Advisory group, and acted last year as the school’s Technology Coach.
Casco Bay High School; Portland, Maine
- 9-12 Public High School, based on principles of Expeditionary Learning. I am especially proud of my work with this excellent school. I taught integrated math to students in grades 9-12, and was a Grade 11 Crew Leader.
Breakwater School; Portland, Maine
- Pre-K-Grade 8 Progressive Independent School. Grade 6-8 Middle School Classroom Educator.
Maine College of Art; Portland, Maine
- Private Art College. I taught design, sculpture and drawing here.
Southern Maine Community College; South Portland, Maine
- Public Community College. I taught sculpture and design here.
Find me on twitter… @nhighstein
Or send me a note using the form below.
DISCLAIMER: This is a personal Web site, produced on my own time and solely reflecting my personal opinions. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of my employer, past or present, or any other organization with which I may be affiliated.